Announcement of the Medical Council
58/2552 B.E. (2009 A.D.)
Regarding Guidelines for Persons Manifesting Confusion Concerning Their Sexual Identity or Desiring Treatment By Undergoing a Sex Change Operation
© Chaninat & Leeds Co., Ltd.
17 November 2009
Under the authority of clause 6 of the Regulation of the Medical Council Concerning Ethics in the Medical Profession Rules for Treatment in Sex Change Operations 2552 B.E. (2009 A.D.) stipulating that in the event a medical practitioner is to perform a sex change operation to treat a person manifesting confusion concerning his sexual identity and desiring to undergo a sex change operation, the medical practitioner must follow the rules and procedures according to the announcement of the Medical Council. Therefore, the Directors of the Medical Council, in a meeting of 1/2552 held on 8 January 2552 B.E. (2009 A.D.) approved the issuance of the Announcement of the Medical Council Regarding Guidelines for Persons Manifesting Confusion Concerning Their Sexual Identity or Desiring Treatment By Undergoing a Sex Change Operation. The rules and procedures must be heeded as follows:
- To consult a psychiatrist for assessment, diagnosis of the condition, diagnosis for characterizing the condition, and assistance given to the person according to the guidelines of the Psychiatry College of Thailand.
- Once a psychiatrist has made a psychiatric diagnosis on the ailing person indicating a predisposition for a sex change operation, the psychiatrist shall send the person for consultation with an endocrinologist to consider the use of hormones in treatment.
- The endocrinologist must examine, diagnose, recommend, and treat the ailing person of every age group by considering the appropriate type and dosage of the hormone therapy.
- The psychiatrist must make recommendations to every person receiving treatment and the person receiving treatment must experience living the life of the desired sex for at least one year, and assessment must be made on the results for consideration of further treatment by means of a sex change operation.
- In the event there is a predisposition for treatment by means of a sex change operation, the person receiving treatment must receive approval from at least two psychiatrists.
In the event the ailing person is a foreigner and has received approval from a foreign psychiatrist already, at least one Thai psychiatrist must assess and evaluate the person prior to the operation.
- After the sex change operation, the relevant doctors in the treatment must provide follow-up care and consultation as appropriate.
Published on 5 June 2552 B.E. (2009 A.D.)
President of the Medical Council
Transsexuals and Thai Law
Translation of 2009 Regulation on sex change operations in Thailand